I remember you fondly, and take you not for granted.
Dancers, dancers of Pine.
Move with the wind.
Sing with the tales that wind through the trees' tops.
Remember me to the people who have gone before me.
Praise their memories.
Dance Pine Needle Dancers.
Dance

by Yvonne Mokihana Calizar

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The purple cape

Puddles grew to lake-size before the night was pitch black, The porch light was cheery, turning the downpouring rain into streamers of gold. Thin and steady streaks. Too deep in the woods for Halloween trick or treaters, it surprised Calypso to hear a loud knock and a voice. "Trick or Treat," coming from what sounded like someone not quite young ... but neither old. Nothing much frightened the crone. Too tough to be stupid, but not so stupid to be careless. In twenty-five years there were never any kids at her door for this holiday. What to do?

Tucked just inside the door Calypso kept her husband's hockey stick. Good for sailing slugs, and one hell of a weapon welded in strong arms. She had those. Through the window she could see a small figure dressed in a long purple cape. Under the porch light the purple was slick with rain. A clear plastic raincoat covered the cape. A hat pointed and sharp on top was drooping over the figure's face. "Trick or Treat, damn it Calypso. It's me. Maydene. Open up before I wash away."

"Geez Maydene, where did you come from." Calypso set the hockey stick down and drew the safety latch off the front door. She'd slipped it in place as she considered the answer to that question about what to do? "I came for Halloween! I still miss her too. I'm entitled and I could use a mug of that hot apple brandy a half hour ago." She was a talker and the plastic raincoat had done very little to keep her dry. "I drove that old truck of mine, but ran out of gas at that first speed bump. Left the lights flashing on the old gal. Couldn't get her off the road. We'll need to go rescue her before long."

While the small woman peeled herself out of wet purple cape, Calypso galloped up the stairs to the bathroom for dry towels, pulled her chenille bathrobe off its hook and turned in time to bump into her sister who had followed Calypso. For a small woman she was quick. "Still as nimble as you ever have been I see." A spark of acknowledgement flickered between them. Calypso decided to let the small fire pass, for now. "Why don't you take a hot shower to warm up. Here's my robe. I'll warm up some brandy. The kids'll be back anytime. They're bringing company. So you be ready to be nice."

"Aren't I always?"

"Yes, you are always ..."

"See you downstairs. Want some dry clothes?"

"No need. The cape kept me from drowning. I set it near the radiator in the hallway, won't take to a dryer."

No thought Calypso that cape wouldn't take to a dryer. "See you downstairs. There's soup and apple pie. You hungry?"

"I'm always hungry. You know that."

Trick or treat...that makes four. Everyone was in their places.

There's more.

No comments:

Post a Comment